Saturday, March 7, 2009

You know you live in Appalachia if….

Driving home from work yesterday I got stuck behind an accident. It looked like a deer jumped out at the car in the right lane. That driver swerved into the left lane, but there was already a car there. So they were taking up both lanes. I had to wait about 5 minutes (yes, this is a traffic jam where I live) behind the cop. The cop was standing in this little ditch off the left lane next to this poor deer. The deer was on it’s back with all four legs in the air. He did not look good. It was pretty obvious it was dying. The cop just stood there next to it. Then I noticed this really old guy with white hair and a long white beard. The cop was actually guarding the deer from the old guy! The old guy started shouting at the cop “just shoot it”. The cop was saying I can’t, I can’t. At this point I turned down my radio and rolled down my window because the scene in front of me was so much more entertaining!
So the old guy is really getting worked up. I mean the deer really was in pain. So the old guy gets mad and says “well give me your gun; I’ll shoot it!” (there a large amount of profanity that I won’t share). Of course the cop says he can’t do that, right. Well that really makes the old man mad. He starts shouting like crazy about how he paid for the bullets in that gun with his taxes and how the cop wouldn’t have a job if it weren’t for him! The cop really looks upset and like he’s not sure what to do. He just keeps saying “I’m sorry sir, I can’t do that. And I can’t shoot it”.
I was cracking up laughing. I thought the old guy was going to explode. More cops came to the rescue and cleaned up the scene enough for me to get by. So, I had to leave. I really wanted to stay and see the rest of the show, but I thought they may not like that seeing how they already had one crazy person to deal with.
Later that night we drove in town right past where the deer had been. It’s not there anymore…..

No comments: